Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

For reasons beyond my comprehension, my favourite NFL team is the New York Jets. As a distraction while watching them get their asses handed to them again, I carved our jack-o-lantern for Halloween. As a treat to my wife and son for high-jacking the living room TV to watch that debacle, I made them some roasted pumpkin seeds.
Ingredients
pumpkin
salt
seasoning
  • Get to the seeds inside the pumpkin by either cutting the gourd into pieces, or by cutting a hole in it so you can reach in and take them out. Clean the seeds of any excess pumpkin innards under running water.
  • Place the seeds in a pot and sprinkle them with about a tablespoon (15 g.) of salt.

    Cover the seeds with water, bring to boil, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the seeds in a colander and dry lightly them with a paper towel.
  • Spread the pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (as I was out of olive oil, I used canola oil instead).

    Sprinkle your flavour popcorn seasoning on top (I used Old Bay), and roast the pumpkin seeds at 400°F (204°C) for 10 minutes, or until they have reached your preferred level of toasted-ness. Let the pumpkin seeds cool before eating.

No comments:

24 Hour Perogies

In a place known as the City That Fun Forgot, it's no surprise that there's not much happening in Ottawa late at night. The House o...