Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Eggplant with Buttermilk Sauce - Science and Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science

As I posted in my October 13th blog entry, I've enrolled in an on-line course about the relationship between science and cooking. Part of the week one homework was to follow a recipe and answer some questions about the dish that was made. Buying one of the ingredients in this dish lead me to the Mid-East Food Center, which I will be visiting again when it's time to restock the pantry. Neither Dawn or myself are big fans of eggplant, but we both loved the sauce that goes with this dish, and I would try this dish again, only this time I'd try grilling the eggplant. That being said, until I find something tastier to replace it, this will be my go to dish for any vegetarians I encounter in my cooking journey.
Ingredients 












2 eggplants, cut in half lengthwise and scored
120 mL + 20 mL olive oil
7.5 mL thyme
1 pomegranate
5 mL/3 g za'atar (Google for substitutions, if necessary)
133 mL buttermilk (or 133 mL milk + 7.5 mL distilled/white vinegar)
1 crushed garlic clove
salt and black pepper for seasoning
  1. Preheat an oven to 200°C.
  2. Place eggplant halves flat side-up on a baking sheet and brush with 30 mL olive oil apiece. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
  3. Roast for 40 minutes, remove from oven, and allow to cool to room temperature.
  4. If buttermilk is not available, add vinegar to milk, stir, and let sit for 5-10 minutes to develop into acidified buttermilk. Mix in yogurt, remaining olive oil, garlic, and salt to season. Store in refrigertor while eggplant cools.
  5. Remove seeds from pomegranate. Serve by spooning sauce over eggplant halves and sprinkling za'atar and pomegranate seeds on top.

No comments:

24 Hour Perogies

In a place known as the City That Fun Forgot, it's no surprise that there's not much happening in Ottawa late at night. The House o...