Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Woo-hoo! Easy Crème Brulée

The first time I had crème brulée was at my wife's suggestion at the end of a date night meal. I've never been much of a dessert guy, but it's hard not to love the taste of sweet luxurious custard under a layer of caramelized sugar that you have to crack with a spoon to access. When I came across this version of the decadent dessert, I knew I had to try the recipe; when I came across the butane torch you see to the right of this paragraph, I knew I had to try the recipe as soon as possible. Sure, you can get yourself a more professional-looking kitchen torch (it's definitely more powerful than what you can find among the other lighters at the convenience store), but I think Homer would appreciate a simpler way to make a tasty treat.

Ingredients
125 g vanilla ice cream (a great substitute for the cream, milk, sugar, and thickener that is custard)
2 egg yolks
8 -12 g granulated sugar         
  1. Preheat oven to 163°C. Melt the vanilla ice cream in a microwave-safe bowl for one minute, then whisk, and let it cool. Whisk in the egg yolks, and pour the mixture into ramekins.
  2. Place the ramekins into a cake pan, then pour hot water into the pan, letting the water fill about halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the middle is still jiggly and almost set. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
  3. Spoon the sugar onto each crème brûlée, turning each ramekin to distribute the sugar in an even layer. Use either a kitchen torch or place the crème brûlées under the broiler for about three minutes to brown the sugar, checking to make sure the sugar doesn't burn. Let them cool for at least 10 minutes, then serve.

No comments:

24 Hour Perogies

In a place known as the City That Fun Forgot, it's no surprise that there's not much happening in Ottawa late at night. The House o...