Saturday, February 13, 2016

Detox and Retox - Yoga On Tap at the Ottawa Winter Brewfest

A lot of people practice yoga in order to free their minds from the distractions that normally occupy it; a lot of people drink beer for the same reason. Yoga classes followed by a pint of beer have become a hot new pairing at breweries throughout the city and the country. While you may think the beer would offset any of yoga's positive effects, sipping a pint may have more health advantages than you think, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Cereal Science. And who doesn't like a cold one after working your muscles hard? I first heard of the trend when I saw one of my favourite craft breweries, Dominion City Brewing, hosted YOGA ON TAP last year, that featured a session that offered an all levels accessible yoga class, followed by a tour of the brewery and some beer tasting. It was too late for me to attend that event, but I managed to get into the session happening at the sold-out Winter Brewfest at Lansdowne Park today. It was -28 Celsius leaving the house this morning, with a windchill of way too cold to be out if you don't have to. I thought I could warm myself up on the frigid walk from my parking spot to the Horticulture Building by convincing myself I was attending a hot yoga class but it didn't help. Once I registered and started to defrost, I made my way to the front to set up. I'd say there were about 30-35 people in attendance, with more women than men, about a five-to-one ratio. Our instructor, Ashley, soon welcomed us to the class and won everyone over with her enthusiastic attitude, and the announcement that she was cool with people drinking beer while she led us through the routine. Her approach to the class was it was just her inviting us in to join her as she drank beer while she practised yoga, and that life is a gift that we should all enjoy. I appreciated the commitment to work-life balance, but I would need to take more yoga classes to get the full benefits of it. I was too busy getting my body into the proper form, and worrying if my breathing was correct to get any of the mental or spiritual aspects. But by the end of the session, I was relaxed enough to enjoy some beer. Ashley then led everyone through a beer tasting, and her knowledge of beer is on par with her knowledge of yoga. The standout of the samplings offered was the Unf stout from local brewers whiprsnapr, full of dark chocolate, black cherry, and espresso flavours. With a focus on one's well being, and one's community, YOGA ON TAP was a good time for everyone, whether you come out for the yoga or for the beer.

No comments:

24 Hour Perogies

In a place known as the City That Fun Forgot, it's no surprise that there's not much happening in Ottawa late at night. The House o...